Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mono Lake

Inspired by my nightmares of impending climate doom, I am determined to enjoy our lovely planet while it stays that way. So this weekend I'm going kayaking on Mono Lake.

I borrowed this photo from professional photographer, Dan Heller. Check out his website for more spectacular photos of Mono Lake.



My photos won't be as amazing as Dan Heller's...but they'll be mine. I'll be out of commission until Monday.

Last summer, Mono Lake was pronounced "SAVED" (If you lived in the West in the 70's and 80's, you have seen the famous bumper stickers that said "SAVE MONO LAKE;" they were on every other car). This article tells the history of Mono Lake. The ecology, the activism, and the success make for an inspiring story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mono Lake. One of my favorite artists, Robert Smithson did a piece about it, and I had to visit.

Karen said...

Morse,

I looked up Robert Smithson. You would have appreciated something I saw at an elementary school last fall. It was a beautiful spiral of bright yellow leaves in an earthen field...much like Smithson's "Spiral Jetty."